GOTTA GIVE: Gold Ribbon Rescue
Gold Ribbon Rescue provides a network for sheltering, rehabilitation, and finding loving homes for Golden Retrievers in Central Texas. They also work to educate the community about the Golden Retriever breed, and how to be a responsible dog owner in general. All of the dogs they rescue are friendly and non-aggressive, in desperate need of someone to care for them. The rescue takes dogs to receive a veterinarian check-up and any treatment they may need before putting them up for adoption.
If you’re interested in becoming a foster parent, fill out the application on their website. Other ways to support the Gold Ribbon Rescue include signing up for monthly donations or volunteering.
GOTTA TRY: Fall Restaurant Openings
- Blacks BBQ- The famous Lockhart barbeque destination is opening a restaurant in Austin, with meat brought in from the original location daily
GOTTA TRY: Harvest Party Ideas
- Provide your guests with wool blankets in case of sudden chills
- Layer natural elements on the table like pomegranates, pumpkins left over from Halloween and some greenery
- Use slate and wood serving trays as warmer elements
- Keep your napkins in natural tones, using linen or heavy cotton
GOTTA GO: Weekend Calendar
- Experience Hendrix- First night of the 2 part celebration of Jimi Hendrix’s music and legacy at ACL Live
GOTTA GIVE: The Thinkery
The Thinkery is the new Austin Children’s Museum, dedicated to encouraging creativity and innovating learning experiences. The collaborative venture seeks to make exhibits relevant and accessible to all. The hands-on exhibits provide fun ways for kids to explore science, technology, engineering, arts, and math. They also host special events and workshops for kids throughout the year.
Although relatively new, The Thinkery has already has already become a favorite spot of countless kids and families. However, admission and program revenue only covers about 60% of the Museum’s annual operating budget. The remainder of expenses are covered by donations from individuals and groups. If you would like to help keep the museum a part of our community, you can donate money, goods, or services to the Thinkery.
GOTTA TRY: Fall Home Maintenance
GOTTA GO: Austin’s Weekend Calendar
Imaginarium 2014- Event to raise money and awareness for the Thinkery Children’s Museum, with games, food, auction, and other amusements
- Fete*ish by Ballet Austin - An evening of dining and dancing in anticipation of Ballet Austin’s Bell Redux / A Tale of Beauty and The Beast at the W Hotel
- Austin Bead Market- A wide variety of beads and more on exhibit at the Travis County Expo Center
GOTTA GIVE: The Big Give
I Live Here, I Give Here is an Austin organization committed to increasing philanthropy in the community. They work to connect donors and volunteers with a wide range of local charities. Their annual Big Give celebration and fundraiser will be held on Friday, September 26th at the Hyatt Regency. The Parisian-themed event will feature live music from White Ghost Shivers, a silent auction, games, delicious food and cocktails. In addition, awards will be handed out to outstanding nonprofits and philanthropists.
Gottesman’s Elizabeth Buchanan is Chair of this year’s event, and Jessica Stathos, REALTOR® is on the board as well. Purchase tickets now to enjoy a fun evening with friends, while supporting I Live Here, I Give Here, and all that they do for the Austin community.
GOTTA GO: Favorite Austin Home Stores
GOTTA TRY: Fancy Tailgate Party
GOTTA GO: Austin’s Weekend Calendar 9/12-9/14
- Neon Dash 5k- Nighttime 3.1 mile fun run, with neon paint and energizing music
- Kings of Leon- Concert at the Austin 360 Amphitheater, with opening performances from Young the Giant and Kongos
GOTTA GO: Austin’s Best Vintage Furniture Stores
Rave on Vintage- Located on North Loop Blvd, keeps a continually growing inventory of fun vintage items
Room Service Vintage- A well-displayed selection of 50’s, 60’s and 70’s pieces in North Austin